Gouray Church, full name St Martin de Gouray, was consecrated in 1835 as a chapel of ease for St.Martin’s Church, and built to cater for the spiritual needs of the residents of Gorey with its busy port and oyster fishing industry. It became an Ecclesiastical District Church with its own parish boundaries in 1900. It occupies a spectacular site on Gorey Hill overlooking Gorey Village and the Royal Bay of Grouville.
View details of stained glass works by Bosdet, sorted by location.
Built by Sir Adolphus Hilgrove Turner in 1905 at La Croix Cemetery, Grouville as a memorial to his mother, the mausoleum is modelled on a Romanesque chapel with a semi-circular apse containing three small arched windows facing east, and a doorway under a Norman arch at the west end.
Holy Trinity Church is one of the twelve ancient parish churches. Its nave was rebuilt and extended in 1863, and the public road which formerly passed close by the West door was diverted round the East side of the churchyard. There is a fine wall monument in the Lady Chapel dedicated to Sir Edward de Carteret who died in 1682. Horses bearing his funeral cortege to the church in St Ouen bolted and came to rest here and so it was decided to inter him in the parish of his birth where legend has it he had wished to be buried. Rare orchids flower in the churchyard in September.
Two windows are displayed in the History of Jersey exhibition. In poor condition, they were removed from the Fishermen’s Chapel in 1987 when the Chapel was excavated and restored.
An Anglican Ecclesiastical District Church within the bounds of St Helier built in 1926.
A chapel of ease for St Brelade’s Church two miles away, the present neo-Gothic church was consecrated in 1892 and built on the site of a previous structure built in 1735 and condemned as unsafe in 1887. It contains one of the largest and most spectacular of Bosdet’s windows in Jersey.
First mentioned in 1035, and believed to be the oldest church in Jersey, (certainly the most photographed,) the church is built on the seashore of St Brelade’s Bay. The neighbouring Fishermen’s Chapel probably predates the church and was rededicated as a chapel in 1933, its murals painted in the 14th & 15th centuries are still visible. The church, restored and reordered in the 1890s, has the largest number of Bosdet windows in the Island.
St. Helier Church (known as the Town Church) is the oldest building in Jersey’s principal town and for many centuries stood at the water’s edge. St.Helier, a hermit, lived on an offshore rock now attached to Elizabeth Castle in the bay and was beheaded by the Vikings in 555 A.D. The senior Anglican church in the Island, the Dean of Jersey is its Rector, and it was recently extensively renovated.
One of the twelve ancient parish churches. Although known for a time as St John of the Oaks, it is more likely that since in the Middle Ages the largest fair in Jersey took place in the parish of St John on St John the Baptist’s Day, it is the Baptist to whom the church is dedicated.
First recorded in 1198 when King John gave it to the Abbey of Blanchelande in Normandy, the church has been extensively restored recently and some 12th century painting uncovered. The church contains two Bosdet windows.
An Anglican Ecclesiastical District Church built in 1848-51, which stands adjacent to Howard Davis Park which was gifted by T. B. F. Davis, a generous benefactor to his native Island, who also gifted the splendid church hall.
This ancient parish church is dedicated to St Martin le Vieux. A church existed on the site as early as 1042 and is older than its neighbour St Martin de Grouville. St Martin’s used to be considered as the leading church in the Island, its endowments were larger than any of the others and many of its Rectors were the Island’s Dean. The church contains three Bosdet windows.
St Mary’s Church, full name “St Mary of the Burnt Monastery”, is more than likely built on the site of a monastery burnt by raiding Vikings and was the centre of a functioning parish by 1042. The church contains three Bosdet windows.
The manorial chapel, dedicated to St Anne the mother of the Virgin Mary, survives as a remnant of the medieval manor. Here the Seigneur and his household began each day with Mass. The chapel, desecrated by parliamentary forces following the Civil War, had been used subsequently as a farm outbuilding and hayloft. The chapel was “reconciled, cleansed and sanctified” in a service of Rededication on the 5th May 1914 by the Bishop of Winchester. A further rededication by his successor was required following the Occupation of the Island by German Forces as the manor had been requisitioned and the chapel used as a store. The chapel contains six small Bosdet windows.
St Ouen’s Manor is the ancestral home since Norman times of the de Carteret family and of the Island’s senior fief or seigneurie. The de Carteret family supported the Royalist cause during the Civil War and the province of New Jersey was granted by Charles II to one of its scions, George. Col. Edward Charles Malet de Carteret inherited the manor in 1856 in a ruinous state and over the course of sixty years completely refurbished, altered and extended it. The new west wing was destroyed by fire during the Occupation and was restored in the 1960s. The manor house contains one large window recording the feats of two famous family members and a number of windows with coats of arms and heraldic devices commissioned by Col. Malet de Carteret and designed by Bosdet.
The site of St Saviour’s Church originally comprised four separate chapels owned by different families and served by different priests, although by 1145 they had amalgamated into one church. The present church was completely refurbished in 1901. Henry Thomas Bosdet is buried near the North wall of the churchyard, his grave having been restored in recent years by The Glass Rainbow Trust. The legendary “Jersey Lily”, Lillie Langtry, whose father was Dean of Jersey and Rector of St Saviour, is also buried here. The church contains four Bosdet windows and a reredos also painted by him.