Holy Trinity Church

Holy Trinity Church is one of the twelve ancient parish churches. Its nave was rebuilt and extended in 1863, and the public road which formerly passed close by the West door was diverted round the East side of the churchyard. There is a fine wall monument in the Lady Chapel dedicated to Sir Edward de Carteret who died in 1682. Horses bearing his funeral cortege to the church in St Ouen bolted and came to rest here and so it was decided to inter him in the parish of his birth where legend has it he had wished to be buried. Rare orchids flower in the churchyard in September.

The church contains one Bosdet window.

The Annunciation

A double window.

The left light shows the Archangel Gabriel, dressed in priestly robes, standing on a pale blue cloud. He holds a lily in his left hand and his right hand is raised in greeting.

In the right-hand light, the Virgin Mary kneels in profile, with hands joined. Behind her is a book on a lectern and the curtains and cushions of a bed. The dove, symbol of the Holy Spirit, hovers above. Scrolls below the figures bear the words: “Tu es bénie entre les femmes” and “Voici la servante du Seigneur”

  • Position: South wall of the chancel
  • Biblical ref: Luke 1, vv. 26-38
  • Memorial inscription: "A la mémoire de Mary de Gruchy, épouse d’Alfred Messervy, décédée le 18 septembre 1887 âgée de 32 ans."

Previous / Next Location

Photo Album

See our collection of photos from this location at the photo-sharing website Flickr.